background

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Crochet like your life depends on it...



I've been crocheting like there's no tomorrow. I did take a short break from crochet to knit on the way to the new house (Jon was driving) and then whilst doing manual labor there, I also took a break. But---it was only a physical break, in my head I was crocheting together the vines I tore off the porch, and the dried weeds I was pulling out of the patio. I was picturing loosely crocheted baskets made of Kudzu vines...I gotta do something with them, right? I wondered if it were possible...so today I looked around for something new to crochet. I started with jute twine and made a coaster sized square. Then I played around with some tulle ribbon, that looked awful. But the twine I liked and could picture a set of rustic placemats, or a table runner...obviously I could picture a floor mat, but I didn't feel like doing that much work today. (It's a little rough on the fingers after a while) So I decided on a simple manageable project, a potholder. When it was done, it was a bit plain. I knew I wanted something simple and rustic, but I didn't think embroidery thread or even yarn could hold their own against the twine (aesthetically speaking). So I took an old piece of fabric and cut one long 1" wide strip and a big plastic embroidery needle (yarn needle?) and freehanded a rustic heart.
Simple, cute and handy. Seriously, look how substantial the twine makes this. It's more of a trivet than a potholder (I guess that's what I had in mind...something to set pots on) Plus, it's twine...so I can put the big yucky cast iron pots on it.



Not to worry---it can handle it. Plus, I'm still going to revisit the vines idea...lord knows I have lot to pull down before spring starts springing. And if crochet doesn't work, I'll just have to try my hand at more traditional methods of basket weaving...heck you can't have too many skills, right? But imagine, Kudzu placemats, floormats, baskets, table runners...imagine the possibilities. I might need a bigger crochet hook though...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...