What is with this sudden increase in sewing, you ask? School is ending! Summer is starting! Our time is becoming more our own (as it should be). It feels good just being able to do nothing if nothing is what I want to do. (Of course I should be cleaning and organizing...but what fun would that be?!?!)
Actually, this started BECAUSE I was cleaning and organizing. I started sorting through old clothes and such to donate...and before I knew it I was taking things out of the donation bags to breath new life into them as Laurel's summer wardrobe.
I made one like this last year (below) after seeing a tutorial posted on Pinterest. I made a more subtle color choice this year though, which will help match more of her wardrobe. Plus I made a few adjustments this time...for instance, making the pockets big enough to actually put a hand into (oops!), and making it long enough to be comfortable for anything. I'm not a big fan of skirts that don't play well.
I still had a hemmed edge on the sheet scrap, so I just lined it up and cut out a rectangle. Then I cut out the pocket, and a length of trim to match. I just folded a 2" strip of fabric (about the same length as the curve of the pocket) in half and pinned the cut edge of the strip to the cut edge of the pocket and sewed it in place. Then you can snip the curve, press it back and top-stitch it to make it look/sit nice. Then place a rectangle of fabric behind the pocket and sew it to the front panel. Then sew the front panel to the back panel, make the casing for the elastic...and...done!
(For one added detail I made the casing a little too big and then sewed an extra line of stitching at the top...I don't know what you call that, but I like the way it looks)