background

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cable Headband




(with my new SLR camera I was able to catch both the beginning and end of the eye roll)

I had some leftover chunky yarn from a pillow cover I've been working on, and I've been inspired by some beautiful knitted headbands I've seen around town. It's not just a regular headband, but instead meant to cover your ears to keep them warm. There is something so simple and so pretty about a cable. Really not much more is needed, I really liked the warmth of the color and the size of the yarn. It just screamed warm and cozy. And since it's been hanging around 5 degrees here in K-town, warm and cozy are very important right now. I actually lucked out a bit that Laurel stayed home sick today...it kept me from having to go out at all. So with both kids in their footy pjs and me in a lot of layers we're holding ourselves captive in the living room (which happens to be the only warm-ish room in the house).



I finished up the headband with a very oversized button that I've been hanging on to for just the right project. I think it adds a little touch of fun...cause that's what buttons do. I actually can't wait to get started on some buttons sliced from driftwood and burned with tiny nature pictures. (but that's for another month...)



For the next headband (mine) I want something a little more challenging. I bought 3 new books at the specialty yarn store (because they were 3 for $10!!), and there is one that is a knitting/felting book that has some nice lace patterns. Seems like a good time to try something new. I'm getting better at following patterns, so this will be a good test of my new-found patience for pattern following.

If you want to make a similar headband, I found this tutorial after I made mine. I made my own pattern, mostly because I like to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing and the best way for me to learn is to do it. But, I like the way she did this one...I may just do another one this evening using her pattern.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...