background

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Best Pie Crust Ever



With the holidays over I'm left with a hodge podge of food in my fridge. Not wanting to waste I've been holding off going to the grocery this week. (I even made coffee creamer out of the rest of the milk, half&half and eggnog---which I realize is pushing the limits of normalcy, but groceries really are more expensive here)

I had my eye on the ziploc bag filled with pot roast leftovers and the remnants of my little bros red wine...beef pot pie it is! I decided to try out the pie crust recipe in one of my new cookbooks (The Pioneer Woman Cooks) and it was a HUGE winner. Hands down the best pie crust I ever made.



With the scraps of the pie crust I let the kids make their own rustic apple tarts, then I drizzled them with a homemade caramel sauce. The kids had a blast...the food was good, I got rid of more leftovers and I held off going to the grocery for yet another day. What will I do with the unused grocery money for the week...I feel like the Queen of England. (just kidding...sort of...momma wants some new sewing scissors!)



I did alter the recipe a bit...plus I just threw it all in the food processor, and the part where it says to chill it...I skipped that too...obviously it's a forgiving recipe.



I put 3 Cups of flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup crisco and 1 cup of butter in the FP until combined. Added an egg until combined. Added 6 TBS cold water and 1 TBS vinegar until combined. I split it into 2 balls, rolled them out...voila. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...