background

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can't Breath...literally

I just completed day 1 of week 1 of the couch-to-5k program. I've done this program 2-3 times now...but it seems I get to the end, run a 5k (REALLY slowly) and then taper off again. So here I am 2 years after my last "run" through the program, starting from square one. Again.
It was a perfect fall evening. I was alone with nothing to do (kids were with grandma and I didn't have enough time to go home to do anything) and at first I started to do NOTHING. Then suddenly, I decided I could do nothing or I could start something. So I got up, put on my running shoes and went to the closest park.
The weather was perfect, the leaves were stunning and I completed the first day without a problem. Though...there was a moment after the 5th run where the narrator of the podcast says "by now you should be feeling good; not tired or out of breath." Wait...what?!?! I'm NOT supposed to be tired or out of breath? What about dying and breathless, does that count? Seriously...WHAT?!?! Was there a pre-training program for the training program that I missed?
No matter, after some strange gestures and looks to myself I kept on trucking. I made it through the last 3 runs, even sprinting through the last 20 seconds of the last run. (But it took me the entire 5 minute cool down to cool down.)
My sister proposed that we run a half marathon together in one year, she's even picked it out. So with the completion of this run I'm like 1000th of the way there.

You gotta start somewhere.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Yeah, but now I'm on a break to prevent any body parts from falling out, so you're going to be WAY ahead of me! And are you going to wear those crazy shoes to the half marathon???

Unknown said...

Crazy?!?! I think you meant AWESOME. It's a common mistake. And that is the plan, but I will train in them so I will know more as I run more. (I don't think 1 run constitutes REAL training) Please take as much of a break as you need...I wouldn't want phase 3 to become a reality.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...