background

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Picasso of Potholders


I made a potholder last week while we were trapped inside due to bad weather. I didn't know it was going to be a pot holder at first. I had an embroidery hoop and some fabric, so I set out to make something. It became a tree. Then the tree grew leaves. Then came the grass and the flowers. After that I hand quilted behind the trees in a sort of wind-like pattern of small spirals. After that it sat for a few days while I tried to decide what it was going to become. Eventually it became a potholder...but not just any old potholder that can be used on the cast iron skillet. Not just any old potholder that will be used, dirtied, washed and fade. I didn't spend all that time embroidering, quilting and binding only to ruin it!!! So...instead I think it will get a small hook on the wall where it can be displayed. A safe little spot to keep it safe from dirt and grime. A pleasant little spot where no matter how cold it is outside, looking at it will bring thoughts of warm, flowering spring.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...