background

Friday, June 8, 2012

DIY Tinted Lipbalm: Got 10 minutes?



Since I've had kids I've tried to move more and more into the world of all natural products. But considering that we also follow a pretty strict budget we can't afford all of the organic products the stores offer, from cleaners to make up. To save on money we've tried several homemade things over the years; we clean our house almost exclusively with baking soda and vinegar, we've made our own dish and laundry detergents. But I had yet to try making my own beauty products other than simple things like sugar scrubs.

Finally after some Pinspiration I purchased several products to get me started...but after 2 months they're still sitting in a box in the closet. Until today! Looking through my make-up drawer I noticed 3 lipsticks that I don't use because I never liked the color. (what a waste!) So I decided that it was time to try making a tinted lip balm, using the old lipstick scraps as the coloring agent.

To be honest, this isn't the way I had planned to do it. This is a little less natural (because I used lipstick scraps for the tinting instead of mineral make up), and I used the microwave to melt the oil and beeswax...but come on, it took less than 10 minutes to go from old scraps of lipstick to a full lip balm container full of pepperminty-tinted goodness.

I used equal parts beeswax and coconut oil, about 1 tsp a piece. I put them together in the microwave in 20 second intervals until they melted. I then put in the scraps of old lipsticks and stirred until combined. Then I added about 1/2 tsp of vitamin E oil and 8 drops of peppermint, and stirred until combined. Then I poured it into an old lip balm container and put it in the fridge to solidify...which only took about 5 minutes.







When it was done it was a pretty shade, a nice consistency and just enough peppermint to add a little tingle to my lips. The balm goes on silky smooth, and tastes pretty good too. Give it a try, if you have 10 minutes to spare!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...