background

Monday, May 14, 2012

My Signature Cookie: White Chocolate Chip Spice Cookie


I did not set out to make my signature cookie when making these. I actually set out to help a friend trick her husband into eating something with whole wheat flour. So one afternoon while she was graciously watching Luke (she is the epitomy of gracious), I decided to make her some cookies with fresh ground wheat. In deciding what to make I knew it had to be something that would taste traditional enough to not be obvious...we WERE tricking him.


But I also had the issue of not having much on hand. I decided to make a chocolate chip cookie base, but I had no chocolate chips. So I made the base, added a little of this and a little of that, and the end result was incredible. Like a holiday party in my mouth, but without being too overpowering in any way. But, I could also tell it needed something. So this weekend I set out to make them again, removing and adding what I knew it needed.

Sure enough, they were perfect. So I've decided to make this my signature cookie. Many decades from now I hope my kids and grandkids remember those cookies that I used to make. That's the case with my grandma and Jon's...there are those recipes that encompass a memory or a person with just a little taste. I want to have that connection with my kids and their kids as time passes. I hope that doesn't sound creepy, because I truly think it's beautiful.

White Chocolate Chip Spice Cookies

1 cup butter, softened (there are NO substitutes for butter...NONE)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 1/4 cup freshly ground soft white wheat (or whatever flour you like)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each ginger, nutmeg, cloves
1 package white chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (not too finely)

Cream butter and sugars for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy (try not to eat it all at this point), add eggs and vanilla until combined, add oats and mix till combined. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Add the flour mixture a little a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Mix in chips and walnuts.

Cook at 375 for 9-11 minutes. (with my stone it was more like 12min, with a baking sheet it was more like 8min...so watch out) These should come out golden, more towards crispy than chewy. The extra cooking time adds a caramelized taste that can't be replicated.

The taste of these gets better with age, so if you like them right out of the oven, just wait until the flavors set in overnight. (and for something a little more special you can even serve them on your grandmother's plate...like I did)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...