background

Friday, May 25, 2012

Initials Pillow (and the last of the crib sheet)



RIP crib sheet, you have served me well. Who knew that one tiny, old, faded baby crib sheet could become: a skirt, a tooth pillow, another skirt and a couch pillow. (Not too shabby considering it wasn't serving any other purpose.) This was not the project I was trying to make. I was trying to frame this goldfish that Laurel made.


I wanted to mount it on burlap and frame it. But I didn't have enough burlap to cover the entire back, so I decided to sew on some small crib sheet scraps around the edges. But after putting strips around it, it still wasn't big enough...so I added another layer of strips. It looked so cool at this point that I added another layer. But without realizing I made it TOO big for the frame. (plus I really liked it)


So I thought I might make it into a wall hanging and then mount the paper fish on it, but I didn't think it did justice to itself (or the fish) that way. Finally I realized what a gorgeous pillow it would make. Rustic and simple, and very complementary to the pillow covers I made in January.


The pillow came together SUPER-quick. After I ended up with the trial-and-error front panel, I just freehand-cut my letters, pinned them in place and stitched around them. The longest part of the project was how long it took me to get to the store to buy stuffing (I live on an island so it doesn't take long to get ANYWHERE).


Every time I pass the couch and see this pillow it makes my heart smile. It will remind me of my husband and the nearly 10 years we've been together, and of my babies that used to sleep on that crib sheet. I love crafts with history, I want to fill my house with things that make my heart smile.


Now I have to figure out how to mount that fish...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...