background

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

To CSA or not to CSA...


Community Supported Agriculture is awesome. It's fun, it makes you feel good about what you're doing and what you're eating. So why the question? Well, for one, it's not cheap. And if you live near a farmer's market you can accomplish the same thing for less money AND have the power to choose what you buy. With the CSA mystery box, it's a fun ritual to tear through the box and see what you have. But, it could be just a big box of kale. While I've never gotten just a box of kale...I've gotten pretty close. There is a time during the growing season where it seems like all I see is kale, swiss chard and collards. So many collards.
As it happens I am not anywhere near a farmer's market right now, so that makes a CSA a good option. But at $30 a week in the spring, and $35 in the summer that is half of my weekly grocery budget. And it doesn't fit all of our produce needs, typically it's just vegetables. Which means more of the weekly budget will go towards at least fruit. So this is a pretty large economical decision for our family... to be exact it's a $530 decision.
I'm leaning towards yes. I enjoy what the box does for our family. I enjoy the kids being excited about veggies, and me too. I enjoy having to stretch my normal cooking and eating limits. Ever had collard pesto? It's not too bad...and what else do you do with all those collards? (I'm only southern by location...not by birth...sorry I don't get the appeal of a big pot of slimy green goo!!)
I don't have long to decide...there are limited shares. Oh the suspense!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...