background

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Habitat for Humanity

I didn't know what to expect when I signed up to help the Athens Habitat for Humanity group. I figured I would show up and build part of a house. When I arrived at the H4H office the leader let me know that they aren't doing a house right now (insert sound of heart sinking). Then he started talking about all the other things they do (I had no idea); building handicap ramps, rehabbing apartments for tranistional housing, deconstructing houses to repurpose materials, etc etc etc. They do SO MUCH MORE then I realized. So we headed off to finish up a ramp that had already been started. As you can see from the pictures I was working on the stairs for the ramp. It was great fun, I got to use a bunch of new tools that I hadn't previously used, and I got to start putting some of my new found school-skills to practical use.
I am starting to see some of the skills in class becoming real-solvent skills that I will be able to use. We're almost done with floor framing and then we move on to wall framing. I can't wait to start using these skills on our reno-house!! And while I'm usually complaining that I wish we went a little faster in class...I'm thankful this week for enough rest in between classes to let my muscles heal. We've been pounding in so many nails that my arms and back hurt for several days afterwards. (But it's a good kind of pain at least)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...