background

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Calendar Banner Kit




This inspiration came from none other than Pinterest, which I converted for my own holiday idea: a 25-envelope advent calendar.

Oh...but it's SO MUCH MORE.

See, we moved to Alaska. (If you read this blog, you probably already know that) It's so far away from EVERYONE. And this year, for the first time EVER in my entire life I can't be with every one for Christmas. So I wanted to send something that would make every one know we're thinking of them this holiday season. And what better way than to give them something that they can look at every day?!?!


This project took a while, I won't lie. You could just grab 25 pictures of your kids and be done with it...but I didn't want to do that. We were sending these to different people, and we personalized them for each group. We made each one a way to express how much our loved ones mean to us. This is more than just something cute, it's meant to be meaningful...and meaningful takes time. (And hand cutting the decorations for 125 envelopes takes time...plus gluing, drying and packaging) But it also makes a GREAT family project...one that the kids can really get into. (especially when it comes to picking the prints)


Some things will make them laugh.

Some things might make them cry.

But the important thing is we will be there on Christmas morning, at least in spirit.


For these I bought:
Coordinating holiday craft paper
4x6 ivory envelopes
cotton twine (tied in a loop on each end, ready to hang)
25 wooden clothespins

Each set cost less than $5, and each was shipped as a pre-made, ready-to-hang set. The most fun part was selecting the prints to send to everyone. (I did the penny prints at Snapfish to save money)


We made one for ourselves too, and the kids get so excited to see the pictures I picked out for them. And at the end of the season we can pack it up and use it again next year with new prints. Plus, you don't have to limit yourself to prints, you can write jokes, memories, cards or even come up with a daily holiday to-do list (like string popcorn or watch a Christmas movie).

Plus, it packages small, I fit the whole kit into a standard sized manilla envelope. Next time I'll try to send it before December 1st though...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...