background

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ok, so the new store isn't ready to open yet. The "little things" that needed to get done before it opened proved to be much bigger than I thought. I always underestimate the amount of time it's going to take to do all the things I need to do. Maybe that's why I'm always playing catch up in my life. I can't imagine a life when I wasn't always running behind, not prepared, getting ready, etc. What would it be like to just be one of those people who has it all together? That must be sort of relaxing to know that the house is already clean, dinner made, laundry washed, folded and put away, kids bathed and in bed and the orders are filled and ready to ship. That is SO not me. My new schedule is baking at night and sewing in the morning. I try not to let either interfere with my kids so I don't bake until bedtime and I try to be up sewing at 5AM. Of course some mornings 5AM is 6:45AM, and Luke wakes up around 7AM. So it doesn't always work out the way I think it will. But I'd rather be burning the candle at either end then to miss out on hanging out with my kids.
So the recipe line up for Just Us Chickens is slowly getting solidified. There is an inherent learning curve with new grains. Will they taste good, will they look good, do they bake the same? So far so good. The most surprising favorite so far has been the Chicken Feed Shortbread. It's part of the no Gluten line, but it's always nice when a product tastes good enough that you eat it just because you want to, and not just because it's Gluten free. It's almost like a crispy-sweet cornbread. It has a rustic quality that I really enjoy.
At the same time I've been working on more bags for the promotion. I've been having fun doing projects with no purpose. It's allowed me to free up any constraints on colors, shapes, designs, and just have a little fun. Today I played around with some felt flowers and I was pleased with the results of both. I'll post pictures soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...